If you are interested in visiting or living in Australia, where short-term or long-term, you will need to have a visa. This allows more than just a brief visit where you are able to be there legally, often having a permanent residence or even working in the country. It is important to first figure out what type of visa you will need before you start applying.

Consider Your Marital or Relationship Status

When deciding what type of visa you need, start by considering what relationship you are in with a resident or citizen of Australia. For example, if you are living with an Australian citizen or in a de facto relationship, you might be able to get a partner visa. There are also fiancé visas if you are engaged to someone in Australia and either currently live with them or can prove you intend to live with them after you are married. If you are already married to someone in Australia, you will qualify for a spouse visa. In each of these cases, you need proof of the relationship, so keep that in mind.

Compare Visitor vs Temporary Entry Visas

These two types of visas are often confusing to someone who is visiting or staying in Australia. The visitor visa is more for tourists who might be staying for a shorter trip, such as if you will be staying with family for a few weeks to visit. However, if you are planning on a longer stay that goes beyond a traditional vacation, such as to look for employment or decide if you want to someday become a permanent resident of Australia, the temporary entry visa is probably a better option for you.

Inquire About Work Visas

Another common type of visa is a work visa. To decide if this is a good option for you, consider the type of work you are doing in Australia and how long you will need to do it. If you are just there for a few meetings, a visitor visa is probably all you need. However, longer business trips or opening up a new business location in Australia typically requires a visa for a long-term stay, which is where a work visa comes in.

Get Help From a Migration Consultant

If you are still not sure what type of visa you need, consult a migration agent who can help you decide. They can also help you with preparing the documents and making sure the application is filled out fully. If you have any issues with your visa getting denied, talk to a migration lawyer. They can help you determine what the problem is and hopefully help you get approved for residence.